About Shiga Intercultural Association for Globalization
Shiga Intercultural Association for Globalization, abbreviated SIA (a public interest incorporated association), is an organization that has been founded for the purpose of deepening the global understanding of the people of the prefecture, aiming to raise the awareness for international cooperation, actively promoting international exchange in a wide range of fields such as economics, technology and culture, etc., and contributing to the advancement of local communities that could keep up with globalization.
※SIA are the initials for Shiga Intercultural Association for Globalization.
- Date of establishment
- July 19, 1979
- Authorized representative
- Chairman Kazumasa Hashimoto
- Basic assets
- 436,024,550 yen ( as of March 31, 2018)
- Number of members
- Corporate members - 94 groups (as of March 31, 2018)
- Individual members - 294
- (Headquarters) Piazza Omi 2F 1-1-20 Nionohama, Otsu City, Shiga Pref. 〒520-0801
TEL 077-526-0931, FAX 077-510-0601
Office hours Mon. to Fri. (Closed on public and the new year holidays) 8:30 am to 5:15 pm
- (Hikone Office) 1435-86 Matsubara-cho, Hikone City 〒522-0002
TEL 0749-26-3400, FAX 0749-24-9356
Office hours Mon. to Fri. (Closed on public and the new year holidays ) 8:30 am to 5:15 pm
“From understanding to implementation” : a theme aiming to create a local community full of vitality where everyone can live in comfort.
Starting the fiscal year of 2021, the theme for the third mid-term plan at Shiga Intercultural Association for Globalization (public interest incorporated association) is “From understanding to implementation”.
While being aware of the connections with the world, we aim to realize a sustainable society recognizing the abundance of diversity and inclusion by collaborating with local communities, organizations, businesses, governments, and individuals towards deepening multiculturalism and global understanding, creating areas and networks for engagement and developing human resources.
Our association will make progressions so that individuals and organizations can engage in more practical activities in their local communities.
Based on this theme, we are conducting the following activities:
- International Education
- We strive to disseminate international education by utilizing various learning opportunities including school education. Development of original teaching materials, management of study groups, leader training and the dispatch of teachers are conducted.
- International Exchange
- We foster global human resources by cooperating with active foreign residents in Shiga Prefecture and with other organizations in different fields, providing a casual place for international exchange and cross-cultural experiences. The Japan Center for Michigan Universities and the sister states and friendly provinces also provide exchange programs.
- International Cooperation
- International cooperation is promoted in Shiga Prefecture by accepting technical trainees from overseas. Consultations concerning international cooperation, overseas volunteers, etc., are handled in cooperation with the JICA Shiga desk.
- Multicultural Coexistence
- Establishment of consultation desks for foreign residents and provision of information on living, educational support for children with foreign roots and foreign students in Japan and support for Japanese language education. We also provide assistance during disasters.
- Overseas Travel Assistance
- We provide information on safety overseas, traveling, and we ensure a comfortable and safe journey and promote international exchange to residents of the prefecture.